Thursday, April 5, 2012

Engl 481 post 10

So here we find ourselves. The last post for the class. To those of you who have enjoyed reading my posts, I am so very grateful. Sorry about missing two of the posts, but I'm sure you know how easy it can be to forget things sometimes. Thank you for reading all of my odd, random, sporadic thoughts up until now, but I think it's about time we do this thing. For my final post I would like to discuss one of the readings we covered this week.  I'm curious to know what all of you fine people in the land of Blog think about the introductory section to Fitzgerald's "May Day." The mood that is set up in the section does not sound very realistic when compared to the brutality and death of World War I. I find it hard to imagine that  "day by day, the foot-soldiers trod jauntily the highway and all exulted because the young men returning were pure and brave, sound of tooth and pink of cheek, and the young women of the land were virgins and comely both of face and of figure." This is a very idyllic view of how people felt about the war's end; however, it is a complete departure from the reality that that many of these men were not coming home and those that did return bared the heavy scares of the war. Did anyone else notice this inconstancy or see any large significance? All I have left to say is thanks for reading my final blog post and...wait....what...?..we...are you sure...?.. we have another optional blog post...?..well folks, I guess your're all in for a special treat; One more post of my inane ramblings. See you in two weeks. 

2 comments:

  1. I hope you will bring up these points when we talk about the story at the beginning of The Sun Also Rises, Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that this was an unrealistic depiction of the soldiers returning from war. We discussed a lot when discussing The Sun Also Rises the hardships and new mentality that soldiers returning from War had. Perhaps Fitzgerald hoped to show the idyllic side of things in order to really point out the actual hardships so that there was a contrast there.

    -Stefanie Eggers

    ReplyDelete