Thursday, March 22, 2012

Engl 481 Post 6...?.. Yeah lets go with 6

So it has been a while since my last post and I feel bad about that so for all of you who have enjoyed reading my previous posts, I'll attempt to make this post a good one. Today I would like to discuss the story we reviewed in class. Specifically I want to address the end of Roman Fever and the truth behind Mrs. Ansley's final statement to Mrs. Slade "I had Barbara." It is my belief as a reader equipped with critical analysis that Mrs. Ansley was not lying. The basis of my opinion is founded on the assumption that Mrs. Ansley did not have sufficient time to prepare such a witty and argumentaly devastating refutation. Along the same lines as the initial argument, Mrs. Ansley's claim that Barbara was her daughter, if not true, could only harm Mrs. Ansley's image. The final justification for my belief that Mrs. Ansley is telling the truth is based upon the nature of the story. It is conducive for a story like Roman Fever, with its subtle hints of conflict to end with a mortal wound. Gladiatorial rhetoric aside, it is simply good story telling to end on a high note. For the sake of Roman Fever, the high note is a bomb shell.       

1 comment:

  1. I'd agree with you, Ryan. Mrs. Ansley isn't depicted as quick-thinking and malicious in the same way as Mrs. Slade.

    (This is actually blog post #8).

    ReplyDelete